One Full Score of Years: Reflections

Well, it's happened and yes it does feel a little weird.
"How!" (Taken at the Jefferson National Expansion
Memorial Museum in St. Louis, 2012)

Today marks the second full decade of my existence. It's a relief that in no sense, technical or otherwise, am I still a teenager. I've entered decade number three and I'm excited to see what lies ahead.

But first, I want to look back.

Ten years ago today, I can remember being primarily concerned with my (fake) gun collection, my G. I. Joes, my thousands of ideas of stories that never got anywhere, and dominating the world of Civilization III Conquest (I claim the title of ultimate champion for winning the "Age of Discovery Scenario" as the Aztecs about five years ago).

I had been playing the guitar for three years at that point.
 Fact: In a previous life, I lead the South to victory
 against Lincoln's hordes. 

Also, I believe that was about the age when my goal in life was to be the next Jules Verne, which meant I must go and starve myself into fame.

Less drastically, I also considered being the first human being to set foot on Mars.

Or live like a mountain man.

Or join the foreign legion (I kid you not)

Without really knowing what the word seriously meant, I was a baptist.

And, of course, I loved books. I loved history. I loved Jules Verne. I hated H. G. Wells. I hated haircuts.

That was ten years ago.

In the intervening years, some things have changed. I'm now a Presbyterian (knowing what it means), I'm not totally sure what I want to do with my life, but I'm not booking my flight to Aubagne or Mars anytime soon. I haven't played Civilization III Conquest in quite some time (though I'm still confident I can win).
My Awesome Junior Speech Group and I goofing off
 after the March tournament

I did Speech (not debate) for four years, including a year of coaching our juniors speechers. I worked three summers with Child Evangelism Fellowship.

I've grown in a number of areas, musically and facially especially (yes, that's a beard reference).

I've grown in my love for Scripture and liturgy, even if at times my soul is not as engaged I wish. I entered Reformation Bible College, believing God may have called me to pastoral ministry. Whether or not he has, and I am unsure on this point, I am thankful to be among so many brothers and sisters in the faith who have the same passion, and who always drive me to more engaged with the Bible.  I have been adopted by a wonderful church family at Ascension Presbyterian Church, where I'm fed every Lord's Day with expository and practical teaching, and where I feast at the king's table.

Of course, some things never change. I still love books, stories, history and Jules Verne. I love Wells too, so some things have changed. I am still a sinner and a rebel. But God's grace towards me has not changed. In the words of Stewart's Townend's marvelous hymn, "For I am His, and He is mine/ Bought with the precious blood of Christ".
Recent picture from an excursion in the Everglades



Godspeed my friends,
Matt Gibson
A.K.A. "The Scribe"


Having written this post, I am retiring my blog here but also starting a new called The Lion's Alcove .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Were Using...Cymbals?

I Believe In