Let's Stop Singing These 10 Gospel Songs

So earlier this year, I ran across an article called "Let's Stop Singing These 10 Worship Songs" which I agreed with, for the most part. I do think we can and ought to use God's covenant name of Yahweh (or Yahveh) since Scripture does but that's about it. However, I'm mildly annoyed at how there are a lot of people taking current praise songs to task for shallowness or bad lyrics but no one bothers to look at some the things we sing in  "traditional" services. A lot of "gospel songs" were written after a certain experience and thus feature emotional tendencies rather than, as hymns of old, being musical embodiment of Biblical doctrines.
So here is my list of 10 Gospel Songs we should stop singing:



1. In The Garden
If this song did not say at one point, "The Son of God discloses" it would be a good love song for some lead actress in a romantic movie to sing about her lover. Observe,


 I come to the garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses;
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,
My own true love discloses.

Refrain:
And he walks with me, and he talks with me,
And he tells me I am his own,
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.


I rest my case.


2. I've got a Mansion
Okay, first of this song is based off one the biggest blunders in the  KJV (even the earlier Geneva Bible translated John 14:2 better) and second it reflects a puny theology. So our whole goal in reaching heaven is getting our own mansion? My goodness, how greedy and individualistic! What if Heaven (granting for the sake of argument that Revelation 21 is talking about Heaven which I don't think it is) has dirt roads and wooden shacks. Would we still want to go?Oh and Jesus or even God for that matter? I think He may be referenced in one line as giving me what I want....

And tho' I find here no permanent dwelling,
I know He'll give me a mansion my own.

Folks this travesty is the prosperity gospel projected onto heaven rather than earth. Let's just get rid of it forever...please?

3.Hold the Fort For I am Coming
Okay, so aside from the fact this song is based on a phrase by the pagan W.T. Sherman, it reflects a view of the Church that contradicts Matthew 16:18, that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against [us]." The gate, not the forces. They are holding the fort, we are charging the gate with the power of the Gospel. And once again very ambiguous language regarding Jesus and God.

4.Battle Hymn of the Republic
Do I even need to say anything about this one?

5. Bringing in the Sheaves
This song may be catchy and in many ways I like it but as a song for worship it riddled with bad lyrical content. First off, like most Gospel songs it is about us and not God, who features as a vague character is this song. Also, this a case where, as with the song, in the Garden, the allegory is so prevalent this could be just another harvest song for farmers in a religious cultural setting.

6. Let the Lower Light's Be Burning
Aesthetically this one is so slow I feel like I could leave my case there, but I won't. This song reflects a wrong mentality about evangelism, namely it all about our "visual witness" and while the way live does reflect the gospel to unbelievers, it is not our example that is the light of the world, but rather the Church when she faithfully proclaims the Word of God and administers the sacraments. The darkest points in history were when one or both of these duties were neglected.


7. On Jordan's Stormy Banks
I love this tune, and I love to sing this song, and I think it has a better view of heaven than I've Got a Mansion, but it's not appropriate for most worship services. I think it is entirely fitting for a funeral service. But for weekly Lord's Day worship, mainly because of its focus on the end of our earthly journey rather than ascribing praise to Christ or other themes in worship (confession, assurance of pardon, commissioning etc.)

8. How Great Thou Art
I don't have too many lyrical objections to this song (though it is unnecessarily archaic in its language). Rather I object to the music. It just does not fit the words. We're singing about the majesty of God to a tune that sounds like a 1950's Hollywood romance wooing number (oh wait! It was written in the 50's! That explains a lot). So, if someone could write a power powerful tune for this one (and mayhaps update the language?) that would be amazing.

9. I'll Fly Away
Meaningless, riddled with excruciatingly painfully wrong theology- why for crying out loud does this song still exist? I cannot understand this madness! If you're going to criticize contemporary praise choruses for their repetitive nature, then take note of how repetitive  "I'll fly away" is. And the  theology. Oh boy, what theology! It's so bad it doesn't even have any theology worth mentioning but basically it reeks with escapism and Gnosticism.


10. He Lives
"You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart."

Here's my objections. First, this sounds highly Gnostic and could be seen as denying the bodily resurrection. Second, it places our faith in the wrong place- in our feelings. What about days when I don't "feel Jesus in my heart", days when everything is dark? How do I know on those days that Christ is alive, that He is my Redeemer? I know, not because I feel it, but because I know it to be so from God's written word, the Bible. Scripture is the basis of our faith, not our emotions.


So there you have it. Ten Gospel songs we should stop singing or in some cases fix. Come to think of it, just don't sing anything by Philp Bliss or Ira D. Sankey or anyone influenced by D.L. Moody and you're set.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Were Using...Cymbals?

I Believe In

Ancient Faith