Dressed up for Church- A Few Thoughts...

The Clothing Civil War of the Church:
The matter of dressing on Sunday is a hot topic in today's Christian world. For some, it's all about coming as you are and not trying to look self-righteous. Just throw on your jeans and T-shirt and you're good to go.  On the other hand, you have the conservative lynch mobs trying to tie nooses, er, ties around our necks. You're going to see the King of all Creation, the Savior, so you want to look your best. If I might be so bold, I would like to suggest that both sides are absolutely right, and absolutely missing the point. Here are a few things to consider, and that play a part in the rationale behind my personal Lord's Day attire. I want to hit on these very briefly.



What is Worship?
Worship is when God's people come into his presence to praise him, to hear his word, to pray and to feast at his table. Worship is not a casual event, but neither is formal.. It is a celebration.


Should We Dress Up Then?
This depends on how you define, "dressed up." I find it interesting that many who argue, "Worship is special and you should dress accordingly" wear the same basic outfit they wear to work five days a week- suit and tie. Black suits at that. Worship is special and warrants more than our best imitation of CEOs. Personally, I have made it a policy never to wear black on the Lord's Day, with the exception of my shoes. I wear white, sometimes a little blue but never black. I wear neckties but also switch it up with a bowtie or an ascot (yes, an ascot). I want my clothing to remind me that this is a joyous day, a celebration of the great marriage and not a funeral.

Seeing Worship as a Feast
Interestingly enough, most of the earliest records we have that touch on the subject report that early Christians dressed in festive clothing for worship. It was special but not stuffy.Rather than dressing out of a mindset that we need to look our best, we should dress with a mindset of "Hey, it's the Lord's Day! Where's my red socks?"

Okay, maybe not the red socks, but you get what I mean. It's special day, and should wear something special.


Conclusion:
So, that's my view. I dress with a sense of festive joy. As my pastor likes to say, "The Church is where it's at."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Were Using...Cymbals?

One Full Score of Years: Reflections

I Believe In